Scholarships - Instructions
Gamma Theta Upsilon, the international honor society in geography, offers five scholarships to reward academic achievement and service to the local GTU chapter. Each scholarship carries an award of $1000.
Application Procedures for all GTU Scholarships:
The deadline for postmark of applications is June 1, 2015.
Application packets should contain the following:
- A cover page. Download template.
A 1-2 page résumé which includes (among other things) permanent mailing and email addresses, academic history, academic major/minor, cumulative and geography GPAs, honors received, and affirmation of membership in a local GTU chapter.
- A personal essay which includes (1) a statement of contributions to the local GTU chapter and geography-related projects, (2) a summary of academic and career plans for the future, and (3) a short indication of how the scholarship will help the applicant personally and professionally. For some scholarships, you must state that you have been accepted into or are already enrolled in a specific graduate program.
- Unofficial copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts. If you are chosen to receive one of the GTU scholarships, you will then be asked to submit official transcripts.
Two letters of recommendation (signed and dated), submitted in sealed/signed
envelopes with the application packet. One letter from each of the following:
- From a faculty sponsor of the local GTU chapter. This letter should evaluate the applicant’s academic achievements and contributions to GTU and department-related activities.
- From another geography faculty member or department chair. This letter
should evaluate the applicant’s academic achievements and contributions to the department.
Application packets should be sent to:
Dr. Michael Longan
Geography & Meteorology Dept.
201C Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, IN 46383
E-mail: [email protected]
|PDF Print Versions:|