Each year, beginning in 2013, Gamma Theta Epsilon recognizes outstanding chapters with Honors Chapters and Presidential Honors Chapters awards. In addition Gamma Theta Upsilon recognizes chapters that remain active for five continuous years with the Chapter Anniversary Award. Chapters apply for awards in the spring when they submit their annual chapter report.
Chapter Awards Criteria
Winners of Chapter Awards
|2014||Presidential Honors||Kappa Upsilon||Texas State University|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Lambda Zeta||Wayne State College|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Zeta Xi||University of Toledo|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Eta Chi||Northern Michigan University|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Beta Xi||University of Missouri|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Chi||Oklahoma State University|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Eta Lambda||Villanova University|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Beta Psi||Kansas State University|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Epsilon||Missouri State University|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Gamma Psi||Kutztown University|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Iota Phi||University of Florida|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Kappa Upsilon||Texas State University-San Marcos|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Epsilon Kappa||Macalester College|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Lambda Zeta||Wayne State College|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Lambda Upsilon||Grand Rapids Community College|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Mu Alpha||DePaul University|
Chapters will be recognized as Honors Chapters that meet the following criteria over an academic year:
Complete all of the following:
- Increase the number of new inductees over the previous year or induct at least 2 new members for programs that only award associates degrees, 5 new members for programs that only award bachelor's degrees, or new 8 members for programs that award masters and/or doctoral degrees over an academic year.
- Provide leadership for at least two events designed to promote geography during the academic year.
- Develop and maintain a website and/or social media presence (Facebook page, twitter feed, etc.) for the chapter that is regularly updated with chapter activities and meetings.
- Submit an annual report to the 2nd Vice President (all requirements above must be documented in the annual report).
Honors Chapters will receive a certificate of merit and letter from the International GTU President. Honors Chapters may display a special logo on their website. Awards will be announced in August of each year.
Chapters will be recognized as Presidential Honors Chapters that meet the following criteria over an academic year:
Complete all of the following:
- Meet all requirements to be an Honors Chapter.
- Plan and implement at least one activity of any kind each month during the regular academic year.
- Provide evidence of campus/community or national leadership to promote geography through two or more of the following:
- provide leadership for at least six activities to promote geography during the academic year (including the two required for Honors Chapter status). Geography Awareness Week and other activities that raise awareness of geography to a public beyond the GTU chapter will be considered evidence of leadership in this area.
- at least three visits to K-12 schools by GTU members.
- submission of student authored or co-authored article to The Geographical Bulletin by one or more chapter members.
- presentation of a student authored paper or poster at a regional or national AAG or NCGE meeting by one or more student chapter members.
- participate in the GTU/AAG Visiting Scientist Program.
- Nominate one or more chapter members for a national GTU scholarship (Buzzard Undergraduate Scholarship, Buzzard Graduate Scholarship, Maxfield Scholarship, Richason Scholarship or Rechlin Scholarship).
- Sponsor a new GTU chapter at a college (or community college) or university that doesn't have one or assist an inactive chapter reactivate. Chapters should consult the chapter map on the GTU web site and contact their regional councilor or the GTU executive secretary for assistance in finding and sponsoring institutions that lack a chapter or that may be inactive.
Presidential Honors Chapters will receive a framed certificate of merit and letter from the International GTU President. Presidential Honors Chapters may display a special logo on their website. Awards will be announced in August of each year.
Chapters that initiate at least one new member each calendar year over a five-year period will be awarded special recognition. Additional recognition will be awarded for every five years of continuous initiation. Chapters earning a Chapter Anniversary Award for each five-year increment will receive a certificate of merit.